Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A World Lit By Fire (Tweaks to the Radiance Lighting Mod for Pre-Electric Games)  (Read 22422 times)
Almighty Hat
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« on: January 15, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »

It is with our passions as it is with fire and water, they are good servants, but bad masters.
Aesop

Let me first and foremost say two things:

1. You need this mod for the mod you're looking at right now to work.  I am not capable of making my own lighting mod on the Radiance scale.  (And hit the thanks button!  Forty thousand downloads and thirty-five hundred thanks?  Dude.  That is not right.)

2. If you are not comfortable installing the Radiance mod manually, this is probably not the download for you.  It requires you to go muck around in the Program Files.

There, now that that's said...

It has always frustrated me when custom lamps that look like they should cast candlelight cast electric light instead.  I mean it really bugs the crap out of me, I can't even tell you.  When I found out there was a way to adjust the color each individual custom light casts, I was overjoyed... until I found out it didn't work for me.  It took me some thinking, but eventually I realized it might have something to do with the fact that I use dDefinder's update of Gunmod's Radiance Lighting Hack.  As it turns out, the way the Radiance mod deals with custom lights is to inextricably link them to the Maxis light they were cloned from-- which means the extracted Castaway Stories lights will forever emit bright electric light, even the ones that have obvious fire leaping up from their coals.

I was very sad.

Then I said to myself, "Wait, some of the Maxis lights are all flame-colored-y, maybe it's possible to mod the mod and get the lighting I want!"

It turns out it totally is.

None of these pics have been retouched in Photoshop except to crop them (and once, to combine two photos taken from the same angle to eliminate speech balloons).

Candle-lit dining hall, although a small hall.  Brunette in the foreground is wearing one of Pooklet's freckled skins, the alien teen in the background is wearing Ivory Tattoo by Chakaru, and my wicked witch is wearing Phaenoh's lighter overlay.  The guy's hair glows like that under any light but sunlight, I haven't figured it out (but I'm only keeping that hair until I steal its alpha anyway).

What This Tweak Does

So I gathered to me all of the base-game floor, ceiling, wall, table, and outdoor lamps that don't emit a special-effects kind of light (because you never know when you're going to need blue or green or red light, or whatever, for a set or scene) and set them to emit a light called 'candleflame.'  To see an in-game example of candleflame light, check out the Torcher Luminescence Sconce.

Practically, what this means is that any custom light cloned from the thirty-seven base-game lights I fiddled with will now glow warmly with fire's warming glow.

What This Tweak Does Not Do

Unlike my hiders, you cannot cherry-pick which lights you want fiery.  It isn't exactly whole hog or none-- more on that later-- but you can't decide you only want one of the base game floor lamps to be candlelight and plop that file in your game.  I'm sorry, but making the Radiance mod read each lamp as an individual file instead of in the EP-specific lumps it was designed for is well outside my ability as a modder.  It is entirely possible to change each light to the light color of your choosing (within available options), but it's not something I could feasibly offer up for download.

What This Tweak Is Good For

Non-electric themed games, mostly.  I play Medieval, but I could see this look being of use to folk who play anything before the electric light, which ranges from Discovery Of Fire to Gaslamps Are Everywhere.  Medieval, Regency (or Victorian, but I see a lot of Regency games), Fantasy, and even Post-Apocalyptic themes could get some use out of this tweak.

Or, you know, if you just like a warm, romantic light, or want to tear my changes apart to make your own, that works, too.

This Tweak is Easy to Screw Up!

Seriously.  Seriously.  If you are not comfortable mucking around with the Program Files folders, either get comfortable or do not download this.  None of the files go in your Downloads folder, this isn't a standalone mod but a tweak to an existing mod, and it will overwrite parts of dDefinder's mod.  I do not believe it will break your game-- the Radiance Lighting thread suggests the worst a bad install will do is give you the Red Graphic Death, which is easily fixed by correctly installing backup Maxis lighting-- but it's still pretty easy to try to put this in the wrong spot.

Reading one of my book defaults.  I should make an illumination pun.  Bedding is off-white, hair is Incendiary.  Walls and floor by Sherahbim.

What You Get

The Zip file includes reference photos, a list of exactly which lights have been altered, installation instructions, instructions for tweaking your own lights, and one text file each for altered Base Game floor lamps, hanging lamps, outdoor lamps, table lamps, and wall lamps, Family Fun Stuff lights, Bon Voyage lights, Celebration Stuff lights, Mansion and Garden lights, Pets lights, Seasons lights, and Teen Stuff lights.  You should not install lighting files for expansions you don't have; also, changing expansion lighting is completely optional-- if you want all your base game lights to be flamey but everything else to be as dDefinder intended, more power to you.  Unfortunately, cherry-picking by expansion is the only cherry-picking you can do for this mod.

Also included are updated versions of the Sims 2 Store Castle Stuff lights, the Beacon of Brightness floor lamp and Fleur de Luce chandelier.  Originally, these cast a bright white light, but their internal .nlo files have been updated to give them fire.  You can use these two lights (if you have Apartment Life, Mansion and Garden, Sims 2 Store Edition, or one of the newer bundle packs) even if you don't install the rest of the mod.

You will also get a backup of dDefinder's original files for the files I altered, but I will not provide a Maxis lighting backup or a full copy of the Radiance lighting mod itself.

These files are not compressorized, because they don't need to be.

How To Use It

Okay, first (assuming you are the administrator on your Windows account; Mac users, you're on your own), go download and install Gunmod's Radiance Light System 2.4 Updated by dDefinder following dDefinder's directions, if you haven't already.  If you're a newcomer to Radiance lighting, you might want to delete your cache files and start your game to revel in the pretty, and to be sure you installed the mod correctly.

In my zip, you will find a folder labeled Hat's Lights and a folder labeled Original Radiance Lights.  Original Radiance Lights is your backup, don't lose it.  The Hat's Lights folder contains the modded files, which you will select and copy to your C:/Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Lights folder.  Let them overwrite dDefinder's files.  (If you're on Vista, your game may be installed to Program Files (x86).  Don't get lost.)

Delete your cache files.

Start your game.

You may have to re-buy lights to make the changes show up, but that hasn't been my experience.

Lights and temple from Castaway Stories, outside at night, so that the shrine is backlit.  These lights put out a cold white light before, despite containing actual fire.]

Before we get to the download, I have two comparison shots and a list of what lights have been altered for you.  Yes, I forgot to switch out the Sims 2 Store lights for their unmodded versions, but I always manage to screw up something. Pics of the C-C-C-Chandelower, Helier's Streetlamp, and Tri-Luminlight Streetlamp are linked from their names, because they're super-awkward to photograph the same way I shot all the other lights.  No matter what I did, I couldn't get the Helier's Streetlamp to behave properly; I'd suggest placing it far enough away from second-story walls that the splot of white light doesn't show up.  Yes, the C-C-C-Chandelower is a mess as far as lighting goes; it lights the second-story walls but not the second-story floor or anything on the first story.  This is how Maxis designed it to work, and dDefinder couldn't fix it.

BEFORE-- Radiance Lighting As Intended

AFTER-- A World Lit By Fire

BASE GAME LIGHTS:

1. Thrice As Nice Floor Lamp
2. Burnished Blaze Torchiere
3. Light Orbiter Floor Lamp
4. Social Climbing Ivy Floor Lamp
5. Tornado Torch Floor Lamp
6. Tulip Light from Luxiary

7. Basically Bare Bulb
8. Wall Flowers Sconce
9. Almost Deco Wall Sconce
10. Antique Metal Sconce (unchanged)
11. Illuminating Angles by Newt Vo
12. Lunatech "GaulleVanizer"
13. Torcher Luminescence Sconce (unchanged)
14. Torcher Clamshell Wall Sconce

15. 4 by 4 Designer Chandelier
16. Chinese Riddle Lantern
17. Dangling Daylight Ceiling Lamp
18. Floral Fancy Hanging Lamp
19. Lamp on the Half Shell
20. Legno's Modern Chandelier
21. Light Effects Ceiling Lamp
22. Lunatech "Lighten Up" Lighting Fixture
23. Lunatech Amber Ceiling Lamp
24. Paper Moon Ceiling Light
25. Qadim Bubble Lamp

26. Founding Fathers Electric Lamp
27. Whodunnit? Table Lamp
28. Absolutely Nothing Special
29. Dynasty Enlightenment Lamp
30. GentleGlow Table Lamp
31. Ilistara Lamp
32. Lunatech BCT/6 (unchanged)
33. Pix-Arm Drafting Lamp
34. Shoji Table Lantern (unchanged)
35. Social Climbing Ivy Table Lamp
36. The Inner Light
37. The Watt Is It Table Lamp

38. Blazin' Buckaroos Lantern
39. Little House Lantern
40. Secure Sentinel Post Lamp

--. PreventTek Tri-Luminlight Streetlamp

EXPANSION LIGHTS (that are nevertheless in base game files)

a. Orbs of Connectedness (Uni)
b. Belle Epoque Tiffany Lamp (Nightlife)
c. Circle of Friendship Floor Lamp (Uni)

FAMILY FUN LIGHTS:

A. Dreams Alight by Guildsmen

PETS LIGHTS:

B. Asayake MZ-30: Soothing Sun Device

TEEN LIGHTS:

C. Luminosity Candle Holder by Darkness
D. Nova Table Lamp by Vintage Victorian
E. Wall Flare lamp by Vintage Victorian
F. Four Star Ceiling Lamp by Vintage Victorian

(I thought I'd just done the candle.  Apparently I got carried away.)

SEASONS LIGHTS:

G. The Swinging Light

H. Volcano Table Torch

(So the Swinging Light is pretty much the only Maxis-made chandelier that looks like it has candles besides the M&G Chandelower.  I use it a lot, and have always been sad that it has a halogen light.)

BON VOYAGE LIGHTS:

I. Imperial Mane Ceiling Lamp
J. Softwind Ceiling Lamp
K. Survival of the Fittest Fixture

L. Wild Wilderness Floor Lamp

M. Lodging Lamp by Economical Effects
N. So Bright It Almost Smells
O. Mountain Man's Lighter

P. SaunaSoothe Wall Light
Q. Stylish Wall Sconce

(Admittedly, some of these don't make too much sense as flame-lit light fixtures, like the Mountain table and floor lamps, but the candle light seems to work better for the general mood of the lights themselves.)

MANSION AND GARDEN LIGHTS:

--. C-C-C-Chandelower

--. Helier's Streetlamp

SIMS 2 STORE CASTLE SET LIGHTS
(requires AL, M&G, Store Edition, or recent bundle pack like Best of Business)

i. Fleur de Luce Chandelier
ii. Beacon of Brightness Floor Lamp

Admittedly the floor lamp tiki torches were always fire, but I'm showing off examples of the lighting anyway and I really love this shot.

Wow, I'm glad you've stuck with me this far.  Okay, so you know that this is a tweak to an existing mod, not a stand-alone mod.  You know what it does and what it doesn't do.  Allow me to give credit where credit is due...

Gunmod, for the original Radiance Lighting System, which is awesome...
dDefinder, for the updated Radiance Lighting System, which is expansions full of awesome...
Plasticbox, for releasing a bunch of individual lighting fixes that, while not compatible with Radiance lighting, started me figuring out what to do...
and our own Eva, for saying DO IT or nearly so (more like SHARE IT) at a key moment.

Show you one more picture...

A surprisingly mean Good Witch, with fair skin, Volatile hair, and a lovely cream dress by Sherahbim, sitting in a white-and-gray throne against a gray stone wall.  Photo taken after dark in a very, very well-lit room.

And now, please feel free to

Also feel free to hit me with questions, I shall do my best to answer them.

* LitByFireIcon.jpg (30.08 KB, 150x150 - viewed 221200 times.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:36:59 PM by Almighty Hat » Logged

Yuxi
Mr. Sinister
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »

I'm not sure how to show my appreciation of this awesomeness to its fullest extent, but it comes close to OH MY GOD YES.

This is brilliant and so are you.

Laughter and screams sound very much alike.
(Dreamwidth & Tumblr)
jaccirocker
SupaDupaGeekyGirl
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

I'm just Jacci

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 10:05:20 PM »

This is just right up there Hat. I'm really afraid of mucking around in the files in my game so I don't have the original, I have to say this is a mighty nudge to bite the bullet and install.

TS2 missing files are here  <<<------ Fixed 08/26/2011 pm me if something is missing
Almighty Hat
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »

Yuxi, thank you!  I'm glad you like it, and I hope you can get some use out of it!

Jaccirocker, dDefinder provides backup Maxis lighting, so if you screw up, you're safe.  If your computer can handle improved lighting, Radiance is the most incredible beautiful thing and I heartily recommend it.

jaccirocker
SupaDupaGeekyGirl
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

I'm just Jacci

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 10:19:45 PM »

I'll look around for it. I'm still on a pretty old laptop, so I play with no shadows and low lighting to get the best visuals I can.

TS2 missing files are here  <<<------ Fixed 08/26/2011 pm me if something is missing
goldenheartt
i could do this all night.
Kindergoth

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 10:24:19 PM »

Wow.
It's like the invention of electricity all over again, only reversed. And in a good way. Cool
I'm usually just a lurker, but this deserves a comment.
It's easy to tell that you put a lot of effort into this, and I probably would have given up very early had I attempted this. So kudos to you for that!  ^_^
I won't be downloading, despite the temptation, only because my game tends to mix between modern and medieval, but I'm sure loads of people will find satisfaction in this creation. Smiley

Zombies are were people, too!
Almighty Hat
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 10:40:28 PM »

Ah-- Jacci, I think maybe you ought to skip Radiance, then.  You have to be able to play with your graphics settings on high.  However, Plasticbox's fixes might be something your computer could handle.

Goldenheartt, thank you!  I totally understand not wanting to change the entire look of your game if you switch back and forth between themes.  (Although if you already use Radiance, I'd recommend nabbing my tweaks to get the Seasons file, anyway.  There are two lights in Seasons that look like they should be fire but aren't.)

Sunni
Delightfully Tasty Gluten-Free
Gloom Cookie

We're all out of cake...

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 11:39:20 PM »

Wow Hat! I haven't used that mod before but I will now. So far I was becoming frustrated at the lack of decent lamps/candles etc. There's not nearly enough for my taste. Your fix is brilliant and much appreciated!

Fran
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 11:45:01 PM »

I'm going to take a chance that I might be able to use this-I have the original mod and never updated it. Now I'm going to update it and then install your tweaks..but they're wonderful! It's always irritated me when the lights (although admittedly it was a bit on the dark side in the Dark Ages) just don't cut it.
Plus-I do like your reference to the book that's named exactly like the title of this thread.."A world lit by fire", which is a very good book on living conditions during the Dark and Middle ages. I recommend the book for anyone who's interested in that time period.
Morganna
Medieval Simmer
Grimly Fiendish
Undead

AV and sig by Andavri

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 12:00:05 AM »

And to think, I was just about to put the link to your blog in "Best Finds." Good thing I checked here! Smiley

Again, fantastic mod, Hat, and thank you so much!

Almighty Hat
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 12:04:56 AM »

*laughs*  I'm flattered you thought this was Best Finds material, Morganna!  (And I'm all eager to see Albion by night one of these old days, now.)

Fran, I was sick and tired of not being able to use all the lights I liked to get the lighting I wanted, too-- and good for you for updating!  I like a lot of what dDefinder did to the mod, although by the time I actually discovered CC for Sims 2, Gundmod's original mod was outdated for my EP configuration.

I actually haven't read A World Lit Only By Fire, (or by only fire, I know there's an only up in there), but the title has a way of sticking in your head.  The one I've got that I really need to keep reading is A Distant Mirror.  Most of my research is online, though-- SCA websites are invaluable, and they always cite.

Sunni... well, same thing about the lighting frustration, but oh, trust me, Radiance will change how you see your game.  It adds a TON of depth-- plus dawn and dusk! 

Wawa
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 12:27:05 AM »

This Unworthy Minion bows 10,000 times to the Omnipotent Hat ..... ok, ok .... a bit much I know.  Excellent job Hat.  I just downloaded Radiance lighting and installed (correctly .... hopefully).  Two questions though.  I have the Sims Deluxe version, so the SP1 lights are ....?  And can the others be installed using the Scriptorium?  Can't wait to see this ingame.
Almighty Hat
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 06:15:59 AM »

SP1 is Stuff Pack 1-- Family Fun Stuff.  You can install Radiance using Scriptorium, so they tell me, although the H&M file likes to be installed by hand-- something about the registered trademark symbol.  However, that's all I know about Scriptorium-- I'm one of those weirdos who likes to install everything, including modular stairs, by hand.  My tweaks should be copied into your /Res/Lights folder after you install Radiance and make sure it's working.

Wawa
Gloom Cookie

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 07:07:53 PM »

Thanks Hat. 
Bethgael
Kindergoth

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 04:08:11 AM »

Thanks button hit over there.... thanks posted here. This is amazing. Thankyou.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
Print

Jump to: