Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Next   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Half A Dozen Hopefully-Easy Hair-Based Wishes  (Read 41447 times)
Almighty Hat
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« on: August 12, 2011, 04:23:18 PM »

EDIT FOR GREAT ORGANIZATION:  Okay, so some of these are done and some of these are being worked on and some of these are still up for grabs, so here is a list of what I'd been wishing for:

1. A Saint Birgitte's Cap made from the Basegame Shortuckin hair (no volunteers yet)
2. Clubkitty's Hijab edited to fit a body better and animated (completed by Marja, download 14,000-poly version HERE or wait for the promised reduced-poly version)
3. A veil-and-circlet headdress made from scratch or converted from The Sims Medieval (no volunteers yet, and I don't own TSM to extract anything)
4. Milano Sims Elena Africa Hair made to cover ears rather than tuck behind them (Completed by Dicreasy, download HERE)
5. Marja's TSM helmet conversion turned into an accessory rather than a hair (Cynnix has volunteered to work on this one)
6. Aligeth's Robin Hood Hat turned into an accessory, to fit over Cynnix's coif mesh (Completed after much hard work by G-Knee; download two heights of hat HERE)

And now back to my original text:

Mostly hair edits.  A couple of them are head-based accessories.

I have recolored over three hundred hairs, all the while (metaphorically) sobbing over my keyboard that, aside from Cynnix's male and female coifs, Mio's reticulated caul, and FantasyRogue's crispinettes (and animated edit of Bipsouille's hennin), I still have precious little choice but to let my Medieval Sims run around with their heads immodestly uncovered.  

There are a few things out there I really want to use-- but they require the skills of a mesher, which I, alas, am not.  I don't actually think any of these are super-hard projects, but again-- not a mesher, so I don't know for sure.  If you're a mesher and you maybe want to experiment with hairs or you just never want my hair dumps to end (seriously I just finished my to-do list for hair and now I'm begging for new and/or fixed hair meshes, what's wrong with me?), you'd have my eternal gratitude for taking on any of these ideas.

I'm almost positive the first one is easy-- it's an edit of a basegame mesh.  It's almost close enough that I'm willing to use it as-is, in fact.

It's not flawless, but it's remarkably similar to the look of the Saint Birgitte's cap seen here.  And oh, how I have longed for a passable St Birgitte's cap.

I have no idea how easy or hard that would be to finagle, but basically, the corners should be even, the part shouldn't show through the 'cloth' bit, and the hairy alpha-editable bit that's supposed to go over the cloth part could probably be removed to save a few polys.  (It's also animated like hair when it doesn't really need to be, at least in the back.)  I'd love to have this one available for all ages, but especially child-through-elder.  And hey, this one isn't strictly Medieval!  If you used a fishnet, crochet, or lace pattern instead of fabric (which would be a bear to line up but Maxis mapping, what can you do), it would make a very nice snood, perfect for anyone from Victorian ladies to film noir dames.

(I would also dearly love a UV map so I can tell where to put a hem, but I've got a UV mapping program so that isn't strictly necessary.)

Here is a copy of Aquilegia's edit of Melodie9's all-ages conversion of shorttuckin with my basic cap retexture.  If you take this one on, I shall name it a St. {Yourname}'s Cap.

There's also this hijab mesh by Clubkitty that I would recolor the hell out of and use over and over and over again... except for two things.  It isn't animated, so it swings around the head like a bell:

And it doesn't quite sit right against the Sim's back:

So if that mesh could be stretched down to actually touch a Sim's body (I do not mind if some clothing meshes cut through a bit) and animated so it doesn't look like it's been starched within an inch of its life, dipped in glue, and shellacked, I'd deeply, deeply appreciate it.  (It's also not available for any age but YA/Adult/Elder, but you know, I can kinda live with that.)

I haven't found the original download for this mesh, but you can get that brown recolor at All About Style here (fifth row down, center column).
 Marja is all over this one!  There is an all-ages animated remeshed version on page two of this thread, BUT Marja has promised a reduced-poly version (around 4K instead of around 14K), so you might want to hold out for that one.  I am.

Another ladies' item I yearn for desperately is this:

It's a veil from Sims Medieval (I stole the pic from Sim Secret), and I have no idea how to get ahold of it, much less convert it... but oh, I want it.  I don't care if it's a hair or an accessory that only certain hairs fit under, but I want that veil-with-headband look (as seen on the blue-and-yellow du Lac gown here) it's got.  So bad.  I know TSM-to-TS2 hair conversions are possible, but unfortunately I think the process goes TSM-TS3-TS2, so... I do in fact know what a long shot that exact veil is.  I'd be more than happy with anything similarly shaped, with the headband and the soft folds around the face.

There's also a minor edit to a hair I've already made:

The Milano Sims Elena Africa hair, which you can download here.  It's almost perfect, except that it doesn't cover the ears-- which means you need a woman with tiny ears to wear it, or they clip through.  If it could be brought down to cover the ears like the turban-style head covering in the first photo here or this one here, I'd be thrilled all to pieces.  New mesh or mesh edit, I'd be thrilled all to pieces either way.  The lovely Dicreasy has handled this one!  DOWNLOAD Milano Sims Elena Africa hair ear-covering MESH EDIT by Dicreasy!

That about covers what I long for, immediately, for my ladies.  The men are a different story-- a very different story, because they need hairs-into-accessories rather than brand new or edited hairstyles.

So, jumping in with both feet, this:

Is Marja's The Sims Medieval helmet conversion.

This:

Is EA's Sims 2 Store Castle Set chainmaille coif.  (Okay, they call it a mail hood, but I strive for accuracy.)

I'd like it if somebody could make Marja's helmet into an accessory so it can be worn with EA's coif.  Because it doesn't make much sense to armor your thick skull and yet leave your tender neck unprotected, right?  (The same reason chainmaille bikinis are fetish wear, not battle gear.)  The end result should look something like this.

You can find Marja's TSM helmet conversion right here (remember it's the men's version), and I have uploaded EA's maille coif right here for your downloading convenience.
 Cynnix, who is a goddess you guys, is working on helmet accessories!

And last but not least...

This is Aligeth's Robin Hood hat.  I want to recolor it about six million times, but I don't want to have to recolor the hair it's stuck to ninety-six million times.  What I'd really like is to have the hat as an accessory that fits over Cynnix's coif mesh:

Because that's one of the more common ways they were worn, which you can see examples of here, at Kat's Hats.  You'll notice most of the men are wearing their byecockets bareheaded-- that's part of the reason I want it as an accessory, so it can be worn with various hairs.  However, if it's easier just to hot-glue it to Cynnix's coif and make a new hair mesh, that's fine by me.  (Just please make sure there's no hair showing if you do that, so I don't feel obligated to full-Pooklet every hat-and-coif combo I can think of.)

The original hat is for YA-Elder only, and I'm not unhappy with that, but if it isn't too much trouble, it's also a good style for kids and teens.

You can download Cynnix's male coif here and Aligeth's Robin Hood hat hair here.  I do not yet have Aligeth's permission for this project, but I figured I'd better find out if anybody's interested in doing it first.
 DOWNLOAD Aligeth's Robin Hood Hat as accessory by G-Knee![/url]

And that's me done, at least in terms of hairs and hats I pine for, crying into my pillow and wondering why they don't exist or don't exist in an ideal form.  The only other thing I might conceivably ask for, hair-wise, is a child-and-teen conversion of the OFB ninja mask for both sexes, but really, why push my luck for something I'd only use for winterwear for monks?  I just hope something on this wishlist somewhere inspires somebody to go "Holy crap you're right yes, the Simming world needs that thing!"

Well, back to renaming and binning the seventy-four hairs I need to get all finished and uploaded.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:38:07 AM by shastakiss » Logged

thechangeling
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 07:15:34 AM »

Oh! I would also deeply appreciate someone fixing that hijab mesh, but only so my actual Middle Eastern sim women won't be stoned. Tongue
Dicreasy
Kindergoth

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »

I've plundered your hair dumps so much, when I saw this, I wanted to have a go at one of these as a thank you.  I've been working on the head cloth and this is what I've got so far:

I want to make some more adjustments to try to minimise some of the clipping which still happens with larger or sticky-outy ears, but what do you think so far? 

(Also, it's currently a mesh edit since I've never made a new hair mesh from scratch.  I hope that's ok.)

Almighty Hat
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 03:53:08 PM »

I think it looks fantabulous.  And a mesh edit is fine by me!  Anything that makes it work on more Sims rocks my world like a world-rocking thing.

(I also heartily support compliance with sticky-outy ears.  I'm using some of Alfred Askew's face templates, and she likes her ears handcrafted.)

Thank you so much!  I'm wicked excited (since I've been kind of thinking about maybe retexturing that hair now that I know how to work a UV mapper).

Marja
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »

I've got about a million things to do, but I thought I'd take a look at the hijab, because it's only a matter of bone-assigning and some minor mesh-editing.

You do know the polycount for the hijab is almost 14000, right?

About the TSM hair.. It doesn't have to be TSM > TS3 > TS2, per se. I only used hairs that had already converted to TS3 because I don't have TSM myself, and didn't know anyone who could extract hairs from that game. If someone could extract the veil, I could convert it. You know, eventually Wink

Almighty Hat
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »

... No, I in fact did not know the hijab was quite that high-poly.  Dang.  I'm surprised, because as far as I know, it's an OLD mesh.  My computer can handle it, but dang.  I've got to start looking at poly counts before I decide I've gotta have something.  (My rule is, I'm only allowed to keep hairs over 10K if they are particularly awesome, particularly unique, or both.  The hijab certainly counts as unique, and for my purposes it's pretty awesome.  I'll just have to make sure nobody's wearing it with sexy feet.)  Thank you so much for taking a poke at it even if it is a little bit bloated-- I've downloaded and deleted that thing at least three times before remembering, oh, right, I don't use this because it doesn't move.

Not having TS3 or any sort of meshing experience-- just a vague sort of theoretical understanding of the process-- I defer to your mesh-conversion wisdom.  (I've got your TSM braid retextured and almost ready to upload!  I was amazed that I could get Pooklet's textures on there, in fact.)  I'm not sure who around these parts has TSM... but I knew when I saved the secret that the circlet-and-veil hair was a long shot.

Marja
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:16:16 PM »

I was surprised, too. Mostly because it's kind of ridiculous, since it's a fairly simple mesh. Now, after poking at it for a bit, I don't think I can get the movement to be perfect. There's always going to be some stabbing, especially in the front, because of the way the vertices are assigned. (With the original mesh, all vertices are assigned to the head, which is why it's static. Now I assigned the lower vertices to the spine, gradually, but the part in the front isn't behaving quite how I would like it to. Of course, hairs don't normally go there, so it might just be impossible.)

Anyway, it's looking like this now:

Are you happy with the back? There's some clipping with the shoulders, probably because I thought it'd be a good idea to stretch the whole thing down a bit.. I'll have to pull it back up a tad.

You got pooklet's textures on the braid? Wow. All I remember from those hairs is mapping from hell.
Hopefully we can get our hands on that veil... Although doing the bone assingment on that.. won't be easy.

Almighty Hat
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 10:28:45 PM »

It looked simple, so yeah, the poly count is a little bit 'bwuh?'  Not high enough for me to say I don't need it (if there were anything similar that tucked up under the chin as neatly, I'd have second thoughts), but high enough for a raised eyebrow.

Perfect movement totally isn't necessary, just less... of what it was.  A little clipping doesn't bother me, and neither does the (much much!) smaller gap at the back-- it's not going to sit the same way on every body mesh, after all.  It looks good to me, but if you think you need to inch it up a bit, so be it.  (You can see how it's moving in Body Shop, I can't.) 

I do know of a couple of hairs that go across the front of the body-- Cynnix's veil and wimple, Daislia's first Altair hood, and the OFB ninja mask.  I have no idea if looking at any of those would be any help in getting the front to behave, though.

I got Pooklet's textures on the braid!  I couldn't get them on the other TSM hair, with the headband, but once I got the textures skewing the right way, it was... actually surprisingly easy.  The braid was a little bit of a challenge, but I've done WAY worse hairs.  The mapping wasn't half-bad at all, for EAxis.  I was impressed that it was logical and nothing mirrored or had to connect seamlessly to some other random bit of the mesh to look passable.  ... Although I do kinda regret not putting a little cap on the crown of the head.  I think it'd look more Medieval that way.

Marja
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 12:05:52 PM »

Back again Smiley I've redone the bone assignment and I think it's way better now. There's still some clipping when the sim raises her shoulders, but I don't think they really do that in game anyway.

I did notice my sims' ears poking through:

Or is that just because my sims have abnormally big ears?

Almighty Hat
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 01:58:45 PM »

I can tell just by looking at it that it fits a lot better now!  Thank you so, so much.

*fires up Body Shop to look at ears* 

Huh.  At least two thirds of my templates seem to want to clip at the ears, too-- although most of them only a tiny, tiny bit.  I must've just tried it on Sims with small ears at first.  Random CAS Lady doesn't do it, and neither does Grayscale Body Shop Lady.  I think it's something I could work around, unless it would be very easy to fix. 

Dicreasy
Kindergoth

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 06:26:39 PM »

I think I'm about done with this, if you're happy with it.

I've tried to minimise the clipping with larger and sticky-outy ears as much as possible, and made any clipping which remains look as if it's just how the cloth is laying on the ears.

You can grab the file here.  Let me know if there are any problems, or if there is something you want me to look at again with it.

Almighty Hat
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »

*grabs!*

It looks great to me from here, and I was just about to fire up my game to poke a few things, so your timing?  Is so awesome.  I'll prod at it and see how it looks-- thank you so, so much for doing this!  (You saw the three new hair dumps, right?  It's not exactly a thank-you gift as I was planning to do them anyway, but... three new hair dumps.)

Dicreasy
Kindergoth

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 06:41:53 PM »

I did see the three new hair dumps, and I've plundered them mercilessly, because they are awesome (as are you).  Finally, more short and nice hair for my male Victorians.  Thank you!  Cheesy  

Anyway, I hope you like it when you get it in game.   Smiley

Almighty Hat
Grimly Fiendish
Macabre Miscreant

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 08:18:06 PM »

So I have poked at it in CAS now, and the only two templates I have with any unnatural-looking clipping are Alfred's Roundy (who deliberately has big ears) and FantasyRogue's elf template.  Who has impressive ears.  I'm calling that a big old win!  Can I point people at your link?

miros
Face Collector
Macabre Miscreant

Face Collector

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 12:08:58 AM »

< impatiently waits for Hat's hat dump >

What doesn't kill you gives you unhealthy coping mechanisms and a morbid sense of humor.

Dragons are incubating
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Next   Go Up
Print

Jump to: